Several draft preliminary design alternatives have been developed since the first round of virtual public involvement in fall 2021, that include:
• Improving traffic signal timing
• Installing high-visibility traffic signal backplates
• Adding a westbound right-turn lane at Plaza Street
• Installing pedestrian signage and additional lighting over crosswalks
• Improving access management for properties
• Adding speed-related signs, pavement markings and displays
• Enhancing the entrance to the eastbound Route 7 ramp to the northbound Route 15 Bypass, including signs, lighting and pavement markings
Route 7 Business (East Market Street) averages about 36,000 vehicle trips a day within the study limits based on 2019 data.
VDOT and the Town of Leesburg invite residents and travelers to learn more and share feedback. View the presentation online to learn more about the study and draft alternatives along Route 7 Business (East Market Street), then give input by taking the online survey through March 24, 2022. Public feedback provided will be used to develop recommendations that will be detailed in the final report that is scheduled to be released later this spring.
The presentation, survey (also available in Spanish), and more study details are available at virginiadot.org/Route7EastMarketStars. Comments can also be sent to email@example.com or to Ms. Robin Youmans, PE, Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
This study is being completed through VDOT’s Strategically Targeted Affordable Roadway Solutions (STARS) program that aims to identify cost-effective measures to improve safety and reduce congestion. This study does not set construction dates for any improvements, but develops improvements that localities can proposed for funding.
Betsy Arnett, Public Information Officer
Kathleen Leonard, VDOT Communications